SAAF badge and blue cloth balkie original to the beret.
The SAAF Regiment:
The SAAFs excellent recruiting Campaign and failure of the Miles Master as a training aircraft led to a huge backlog of pupils. As a result many recruits were diverted to 30 Armoured Commando & 31 Armoured Car Commando, SAAF for Armoured Car courses. Upon the disbandment of 31 Armoured Car Commando, SAAF in May 1943, the remaining Unit became 30 Armoured Car Commando, SAAF. The Unit was renamed the SAAF Regiment on 1 August 1943, its task being the defence of airfields and the capture of enemy aerodromes. The SAAF Regiment moved North soon afterwards and, with the gradual loss of enemy air superiority in 1944, airfield defence became less of a priority. On 17 January 1945 the SAAF Regiment merged with the Natal Mounted Rifles to become the NMR/SAAF, a liaison which lasted until the end of World War Two.
Natal Mounted Rifles (NMR), SAA:
On June 22nd, 1944, men of the 1/12th LAA Regiment, SAAF were transferred to the NMR/SAAF Recce Battalion to act as an attached Infantry component to help counter the threat of German Panzerjäger parties & Anti-Tank ambushes. In November 1944, the NMR/SAAF had a temporary phase where each Squadron was organised with 1 Tank Platoon & 3 Infantry Platoons before converting completely to Infantry by January 17th, 1945. The NMR continued to use the term Squadron for each Company until the end of the War.